Sangamon County 
 Historical Society

 

 

 

 
 

Sangamon County Historical Society

Jamieson Jenkins Grave Marker Rededication--September 30

September 20, 2012 12:46 PM | Deleted user

 

The Sangamon County Historical Society has teamed up with several other local organizations to restore the grave marker of a Springfield citizen who played a key role in redefining the meaning of freedom in the United States. 

 

In the mid-1840s, an African American named Jamieson Jenkins moved his family to Springfield, Illinois.  He established himself as a drayman (someone who carries goods in a two-wheeled horse-drawn cart) and eventually bought a house on the east side of Eighth Street, between Jackson and Edwards Streets, about a half-block south of the Lincoln home.

 

An active member of the Second Presbyterian Church, a congregation sympathetic to the plight of the American slave, Jenkins became an active member of the Underground Railroad in Springfield.  Newspaper accounts from early 1850, for instance, detail how Jenkins assisted seven fugitive slaves travel the sixty miles north from Springfield to Bloomington, IL.

 

In addition to living close to the Lincoln home and being a conductor on the Underground Railroad in Springfield during Lincoln’s residency in the town, Jenkins has yet another curious footnote in the Lincoln story.  Jenkins drove Lincoln on his last carriage ride in Springfield, when he drove the president-elect from his hotel room at the Chenery House to his train at the Great Western Railroad depot, where Lincoln gave his “Farewell to Springfield” speech and departed for Washington, D.C.      

 

On February 3, 1873, at the age of 62, Jenkins died and was buried in the “Colored Section” of Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield.  However, in recent years, his grave marker has been in need of repair.

 

The Abraham Lincoln Association has restored a number of grave markers of individuals who knew Lincoln and are buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery.  Previous projects have included the grave markers of Judge Samuel H. Treat and Lincoln photographer Christopher Smith German. 

 

The ALA, along with the Arnold Monument Company and Oak Ridge Cemetery, have recently restored Jenkins’ grave marker.  The Sangamon County Historical, along with the Lincoln Home National Historic Site, Oak Ridge Cemetery Association, and Springfield and Central Illinois African American History Museum, contributed to the Jamieson Jenkins marker restoration project. 

 

There will be a rededication ceremony on September 30 at 4:00 at Oak Ridge Cemetery. 

 

By partnering with other local history institutions to help restore Jamieson Jenkins’ grave marker, the Sangamon County Historical Society is not only fulfilling its mission of “preserving and promoting the history of central Illinois,” but it is also playing a role in honoring an important individual who played a transformative role in American history. 

 

To read more about Jamieson Jenkins and the Underground Railroad in Springfield, visit this detailed article by former ALA and SCHS president Richard E. Hart: 

 

http://lincolnsspringfield.blogspot.com/2006/12/lincolns-springfield-underground_28.html

Comments

  • October 31, 2012 2:27 PM | Nancy Chapin
    Rumor has it that some of those from Westminster Presbyterian Church were so impressed with the Jenkins rededication that they are considering repairing/replacing some of the other markers of their members buried in that area.

    What a wonderful repercussion!
    Link  •  Reply
© 2019 Sangamon County Historical Society
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software